Monday, August 8, 2016

Day Three

I think the Grand Canyon is the largest thing I've ever seen. I read that at the bottom, the Colorado River averages the width of a football field, but from the top, it looks like a muddy thread running through the immense space. It's so peaceful looking out across the canyon. There could be any amount of chaos going on at the bottom, but from the top it's invisible. All is serene.
 We explored some old Tusayan ruins, stopped at many different lookouts, saw some wild elk, and hiked several miles down into the canyon. All of it was completly fascinating and exciting.
After leaving the park we headed to Vegas for the night. Jasmine's uncle Kendall was headed there to meet with his girlfriend and his family, so he decided to come with us for the first few days of the trip. We're in Vegas for tonight, and tomorrow we head to California.
Vegas has been a disillusioning experience for me. The whole city just seems so sad and empty. I kept trying to see into the scantily clad performer's eyes; see what lead them here, or if maybe they didn't mind being an exhibit, an object instead of a person. I couldn't understand. The lights were cool and dazzling. Everything is showy and spectacular, but I couldn't bring myself to look past how depressing it all was, and how unsustainable.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to what tomorrow has in store.


I promise, we're not as close to the edge as it looks. There was a little ledge beneath us, you just can't see it.


View down the trail


Pretty invincible after hiking/climbing up some steeper rocks.


Part of the trail going down.
Super chill elk trying to eat in peace.
Jazz getting in the way of my panoramic shot.
Tusayan ruins


Pictures of the cool Utah Red Rocks from the drive this morning:


No comments:

Post a Comment